This Week in Consulting
Friday, December 1st, 2017
This Is What Could Pop the Bitcoin Bubble
Bitcoin has once again hit the top lines of major news this week, following its burst of the psychological $10,000 barrier. At the same time, PWC’s Hong Kong office has accepted its first ever bitcoin payment, the only one among the “Big Four”. While this may have been the greatest money-making opportunity of a lifetime, will this bitcoin mania persist? This Week’s Must Read features an insight article from Bloomberg, in which Luke Kawa explored a number of ways this party could end badly for the swelling ranks of bulls.
Read the full article: “This Is What Could Pop the Bitcoin Bubble,” written by Luke Kawa.
INDUSTRY NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Adds KPMG as Corporate Member: KPMG joins the Wall Street Blockchain Alliance for Blockchain technology, becoming the first of the ‘big four’. | Wall Street Blockchain Press Release
- Accounting ‘Big Four’ PwC accepts bitcoin payment in Hong Kong: The firm says it plans to broaden acceptance of digital currencies for payments.The announcement comes in the week when the virtual currency shot through the US$11,000 mark. | Georgina Lee, South China Morning Post
- Dentsu Aegis Network Announces the Acquisition of Oxyma Group: Advertising and creative giant Dentsu Aegis has acquired Oxyma Group, an omnichannel specialist agency in the Netherlands and Dubai. As part of the deal, which sees 340 employees join Dentsu Aegis Network, Oxyma Group will be rebranded as Merkle, and its five subsidiary agencies as a Merkle company. | Dentsu Aegis Network News
- Avantage Reply partners with Credo to bolster IFRS9 capabilities: Avantage Reply has agreed a strategic collaboration with Credo, a Belgian firm that provides advisory and software solutions for credit risk. | Reply Group Press Release
- Cybersecurity: Watch Your Bytes: Banks must design comprehensive programs that use the best technology available for measuring and analyzing cybersecurity threats. | Lorenzo Grillo, Claudio Scardovi, Alix Partners Insights
- Artificial Intelligence: Google’s DeepMind learned without human input: Over the past several years, AI has made significant progress in a wide variety of areas such as image and speech recognition, drug discovery, and algorithmic trading. How are the improvements in AI making this happen? | Robert Eubanks, Capgemini Consulting
- Preparing for the GDPR – Why you need £15m or £300-£450 per employee on average to implement the GDPR: What lessons can be drawn for firms, including those outside the FTSE100, on the size budget they’ll need, as the May 2018 implementation deadline for General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) looms. | David Coolegem, Adrien Dauchot, Sia Partners
- Workforce of the Future: The Competing Forces Shaping 2030: This ‘Workforce of the future’ study looks at four possible Worlds of Work for 2030 to help you kick-start your thinking, including the views of 10,000 people in the survey findings summary. | PWC Special Report
“How to Create Value Through A Digital Transformation?”
has successfully taken place on Nov 30th 2017.
Check Out other Upcoming Events and Workshops and Start Building Your Community!
- 7 Websites Every Consultant Should Know About and Use: Whether you need to get important industry information, create a killer PowerPoint or Excel spreadsheet , or just read a little career advice, here are seven online resources that will help you day to day. | Alex Nuth, The Muse
- Leaders, Are You Setting Personal Strategic Priorities? Create your own set of personal strategic priorities to support your organization and your team, as well as identify areas where you can best spend your time, attention, and energy. | Madeleine Niebauer, The Bridgespan Group
- 4 Tips To Become A Consultant For Your Second Career: Becoming a full-time employee of a successful corporation and slowly grind their way up the ladder is not the only path forward in life. Things you need to know about the exploding market for independent consultants. | Jonathan Dison, Forbes
- 9 Consultant Skills They Don’t Teach You In Business School: Ways to deflect the divas, how to translate the “blah blah blah”–you won’t find any of these tips in a college textbook. | Nathalie Kleinschmit, Fast Company
- Moorhouse is seeking a Principal in Technology, Media and Telecommunications to work in their central London office. Learn More
- Gartland & Melinda Group is looking for a Associate with 2-5 years of consulting, financial services, or other relevant work experience with an emphasis on strategic and critical thinking. Learn More