This Week in Consulting
Friday, July 27th, 2018
Disruptive Innovation in Aerospace and Defense
THIS WEEK’S MUST READ
“The 80/20 functionality vs cost arbitrage is not applicable nor possible everywhere but companies should systematically and proactively scan all dimensions of their products for areas where it can be. To do that, companies should conduct thorough functional reviews and value analyses of product functionalities to differentiate the core attributes customers require from those that are merely nice to have.”
In aerospace and defense (A&D), disruptive innovation can come in many forms. It can come in the form of a new product, technology, material, or process that leads to a step change in performance or efficiency; it can involve the emergence of a new market that redraws the landscape of a particular industry; or it can be about new business models or service offerings.
This Week’s Must Read features an insight piece from Alix Partners, in which the consultants explain the two main fronts that disruptive innovation in A&D is occurring on, as well as the barriers that hinder disruptive innovation in A&D—such as (1) long development cycles and long lifetimes for an aircraft in operation, (2) a relatively small pool of potential customers, and (3) certification constraints.
Read on to Find out More: “Disruptive Innovation in Aerospace and Defense”, from AlixPartners.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO:
“At the tip of the spear, there is no roadmap” – Intellectual Anarchy is the art of disruptive innovation that enables navigation of the unknown, consistently finding the edges of thinking.
INDUSTRY NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Sopra Steria Enters Intelligent Automation Alliance with Symphony Ventures: Consulting firm Sopra Steria has announced a strategic partnership with Symphony Ventures to accelerate Intelligent Automation in the private and public sectors. The organisations hope that the alliance will help them to offer the market a unique blend of IA best practice in consultancy and implementation. | Soprasteria Press Release
- Global Healthcare IT Consulting Market Will Reach USD 67.7 Billion By 2024: Global healthcare IT consulting market was valued at approximately USD 18.6 billion in 2017 and is expected to generate revenue of around USD 67.7 billion by end of 2024, growing at a CAGR of around 19.6% between 2018 and 2024, according to report from Zion Market Research. | Global Newswire
- Synoptek Expands Business Systems Consulting and Worldwide Service Delivery Capabilities with Indusa Acquisition: Synoptek announces its acquisition of Indusa, a global technology company, focused on end-to-end enterprise software solutions and services. The acquisition positions Synoptek as one of the leading digital transformation consulting, implementation, and IT management providers, enabling improved business results with Microsoft’s key technologies. | Cision PR Newswire
- One Third of SMEs Believe Brexit Will Have a Positive Business Impact: While Brexit remains an unknown quantity, as the March 2019 deadline for negotiations between the UK and Brussels fast approaches, small and mid-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the UK remain broadly positive, despite potential headwinds. While two thirds of SMEs believe Brexit has not affected them positively or negatively yet, a third believe that Brexit will benefit their business in the future. | Consultancy uk
Congratulations to the Consulting Quest Team!
It is with great honor to announce that Consulting Quest has been chosen as a finalist for the Best Procurement Consultancy Project Award for the World Procurement Awards 2018! Do not forget to check out our nominated case study.
- Aerospace and Defense Trends 2018-19: Despite a brighter outlook for defense spending in the U.S. and in Europe, western companies in the Aerospace and Defense (A&D) industry need to be more aggressive in developing new technologies in the face of emerging competition from commercial entrants and from rival countries racing to make advances in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and advanced weapon systems. | Randy Starr, Larry Jones, Strategy &
- Top 10 Risks in Aerospace & Defense (A&D): As the global economy undergoes several ups and downs, and different countries change their defense priorities in the face of terrorism and political disruption, the risk universe in A&D keeps on changing. As A&D players design and implement strategies to grow in this business environment, they need to adapt their plans to consider the key risk drivers. | Sandipan Maiti, EY
- New Face of the A&D Industry: Victors, Victims, and Survivors: As the U.S. aerospace and defense industry grapples with another round of budget cuts, structural changes will figure heavily in the industry’s future. Companies that not only survive but thrive in the future will be those flexible enough to initiate their own changes. | Bob Willen, Rene Ouimet, AT.Kearney
- Becoming a Digital Frontrunner in Aerospace and Defense: Few companies are making the broad strategic moves necessary to gain a competitive advantage in the A&D indsutry. The leading companies have recognized that they must take a comprehensive, integrated approach to digital adoption. | Lacy Ketzner , Sébastien Cailliau , Greg Mallory , Konrad von Szczepanski , Susumu Hattori , Philippe Plouvier , and Jan Justus, BCG
Consulting Quest will be hosting a free Webniar for industry leaders in the coming months exploring best practices in Consulting Procurement. If you are interested in participating, please fill out this survey.
Check Out Other Upcoming Events and Workshops & Become a Part of the Consulting Quest Community!
- The Management Consultant’s Survival Guide: Here are some ideas on how you can avoid clients that will end up being more trouble than their worth (get out your ten-foot pole. | B2b Inbound Marketer
- Why Flexibility is the Key to Sustainable Growth of Your Business: For a Consulting Firm, delivering great value and return on investment for your clients is a prerequisite for success, but the key to profitability lies in finding the staffing size and cost structure that works for you. | Helene Laffitte, Consulting Quest
- The History of Consultancy: As you are busy chasing for a consulting career, do you know the history of consulting inside and out? It is time to catch up. | Consulting Ideas
- How You Can Learn To Think Like A Consultant At A Top Firm: If you want to begin to train and exercise your mind to think like a consultant at a top level firm, this article is for you. | Forbes
- Are you a Consultant with Supply Chain background or prior experience working in Retail/CPG? This may be the opportunity you have been long for. A Client of Consulting Quest – an Asia-based small Global Consulting Firm – is seeking to hire an Engagement Manager to join their newly established office in New York City. Learn More
Consulting Quest is a global, performance-driven consulting platform founded in 2014 by former members of top 10 consulting firms with the objective of reinventing consultancy performance. With a worldwide presence and a range of proprietary performance measurement tools, we help companies navigate the consulting maze. We work with Consulting Clients to increase their performance through consulting and Consulting Providers to help them acquire new clients and to improve their performance.